Thankfully, all my backups are up to date, so this seems a good time to mention gizmo maintenance. You’ll see that some steps can be done while you’re getting on with your Weekly Wrap-up or Cleaning. Set a time frame to do the others, or they will really burn up hours:
- Physically clean any electronic equipment per its instructions.
- Recharge all battery-run gizmos – phones, cameras, etc.
- Run any overdue scans.
- Install any outstanding updates that you trust. (My near-crash was associated with auto-updates, so seek expert advice on this one!)
- Clean up electronic files –
- Declutter email folders.
- Declutter e-folders; start by deleting disused or duplicate files within them, and moving important older material to archive folders. E.g., ‘YYYY Name’ as in, 2013 Tax Records.
- Review your folder- and file-naming system to ensure it'll make sense when you’re searching around for records.
- Make backups of everything!
(This should be ongoing, but double-check now.)
Run through them every month to keep e-clutter from building up.